Saint John Soccer Club
Your love of soccer starts here!
1216 Sand Cove Road
Saint John, NB E2M 5V8
The Saint John Soccer Club seeks an Executive Director to serve as the strategic, operational and visionary leader of our organization. The Executive Director will report directly to the President and Vice President and in partnership with the Board, will produce, update and manage the strategic and operational plan and budget that reflects the long term objectives of the club.
The Executive Director will be ultimately accountable for all aspects of the Club’s daily operations both internal and external. He/she will be responsible for ensuring on-field activities and programs are effectively delivered to Club members (with a focus on Grassroots programming), while also managing finance, administrative operations, field and facility operations, volunteer resources, marketing, sponsorship and community outreach programs. This includes collaborating with the Board of Directors, Technical Director, and his/her staff to ensure accomplishment of the club’s mission, strategy and annual goals.
● Collaborate with Technical Director for Boys and Girls programs to outline distinct strategies for both competitive and developmental programming and ensure that strategy is communicated and executed by coaches and staff. This position will require a renewed focus on the Grassroots programming for the foreseeable future.
● Collaborate with Technical Director for Boys and Girls programs to grow the long-term revenue and profitability of our club by expanding and improving the performance of our programs, camps and clinics.
● Partner with the Board of Directors and TD to develop and implement programs with a heavy focus on measurable and visible goals and objectives.
● Keep Board well informed (on a timely basis) of significant issues affecting the development and delivery of programs and services.
● Implement player evaluation process with the guidance of the TD.
● Implement tryout process, set tryout schedule, and staff tryout evaluators with the guidance of the TD.
● Work in conjunction with TD and other identified board members on team formations.
● Assist with the hiring and ultimately the managing of the TD.
● Develop and formalize Club policies for hiring and promoting coaches and paid staff including hiring process, employment contracts, continuing education requirements, etc.
● Implement formal personnel evaluation and promotion process when necessary.
● Operate in compliance with all employment, anti-discrimination and record-keeping laws and requirements including provincial and local regulations.
● Work with the TD to make sure all organizational tasks within the coaching program are completed and executed with professionalism.
● Coordinates activities to leverage existing volunteer resources to achieve club mission and goals.
● Actively recruit committee members and volunteers.
● Facilitate and develop club committees as well as assisting in organization, monitoring activities, and ensuring effective transition between years.
Tournaments / Leagues:
● Work closely with the Adult League coordinator to ensure the growth, financial performance, and guest satisfaction of the SJSC leagues / tournaments continues to improve year-over-year.
● Work closely with Competitive Director / Adult League coordinator to ensure a planning process is in place, communicated and highly visible to maximize opportunities for successful Club tournaments, leagues and events.
● Collaborate with the Board to engage membership in volunteering and to involve community and business sponsors for Club tournaments, leagues and events.
Fields, Facilities and Equipment:
● Lead team of Club staff, Board members and Community Leaders to establish and execute long term plan for a primary-use club owned facility to host the majority of Club training and games.
● Evolve and formalize inventory management system to track Club-owned equipment and implement plan for appropriate replacement over time.
Sponsorship, Scholarship and Community Outreach:
● In collaboration with the Board of Directors, implement a strategic plan to increase the level of sponsorship and donated funds to the club by developing a sponsorship package and identifying potential donors.
● Ensure that new and existing sponsors have their sponsor “benefits” delivered in a professional and timely fashion and that they achieve the expected value of their sponsorship.
● Manage club financial assistance and scholarship programs.
● Collaborate with the Board of Directors and TD to establish a budget and execute the daily operations of the Club to ensure the overall financial health of the organization.
● Manage and staff club approved programs within identified budget.
Marketing and Partner Development:
● Collaborate with Board of Directors and TD to execute all marketing, communication and branding strategies.
● Ensure effective use of information technology for Club communications including appropriate platforms, integrated systems for online distribution and consistent and effective use of key Club and member information.
● Manage and enhance relations between the Club, local organizations and businesses, and local governments.
● Serve as liaison to Soccer NB and the Canadian Soccer Association and other leagues our teams may compete in.
Qualifications and Requirements
● Preference for candidates with demonstrated leadership, management and communications skills while managing or directing a successful youth sports club.
● Experience that demonstrates strong club operations knowledge is desirable; preferably running soccer operations for another soccer entity (University, non-profit, business operations for a soccer club etc.) Focus should be on the business management and operational side.
● Preference will be given to candidates with three to five years of business leadership experience.
Including formulating and executing a fiscal year budget and multi-year financial plan.
o Organizational development acumen that includes building cohesive teams and ensuring fiscal responsibility.
● Proven leader of people with the ability to build relationships with Club families / customers, staff, board members, sponsors, local community members and government.
● Ability to think strategically and translate strategic goals and requirements into quantifiable annual plans, and measurable group and individual objectives.
● Effective interpersonal, networking and marketing skills; proven experience leveraging in person, online, social media, and other communications to advance Club’s position.
● Success in recruiting, developing, managing, and retaining volunteers and staff.
● Collaborative leadership style that inspires and motivates staff as well as Club members.
● Highly-ethical character and personal integrity; ability to align staff and volunteers with Club values.
● Willingness to work flexible hours, including weekend events.
● Bachelor’s degree preferred, ideally in business, non-profit management, sports administration, or related management field.
About the Saint John Soccer Club
The SJSC was formed in 2000 to offer affordable and appropriate soccer activities to the residents of Saint John, NB.
Our mission, vision and core values are as follows:
To be the most innovative and inclusive soccer club in Atlantic Canada.
The Saint John Soccer club creates a high-quality soccer experience by;
– Fostering a fun, welcoming, and progressive sport environment for all participants
– Investing in youth development and strong leadership to inspire lifelong participation in soccer
– Partnering with communities, organizations and quality people
Community Connecting communities through welcoming and inclusive decision making
Accountability Good governance with transparency and communication to our stakeholders
Respect Treat all participants, partners and the environment respectfully
Enjoyable Creating memorable and fun moments for all members
Immediate opening – 1 year contract (renewable)
Applicants please send a cover letter and resume here: Cuilean@saintjohnsoccer.ca
Applicants will be notified by email if they have been selected for the interview process.
Deadline for applications is January 31st / 2022